Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Review of Yelp Helps! - A Denver Volunteer Org Display

Last week, I had the opportunity to join a special social event highlighting service opportunities in the Denver area. The event, entitled Yelp Helps!, was delivered by Yelp, a sort of social network of business reviewers. The purpose was to encourage Yelpers to get involved in their communities and to meet and greet with nonprofit organizations and other attendees. This was my first experience with Yelp and after some time to digest my thoughts, I definitely have some positive reactions to this event!

They hosted about two dozen nonprofit organizations at the Curtis Hotel, provided snacks and drinks, and created an opportunity for conversation and engagement. The nonprofits were admitted space by sending a request to the event host, Laura L., and most had decorative booths and excited representatives. The event offered a spectrum of causes and organizations (there were new and old, classic like Goodwill, trendy like Movember, and hip like The House That Rock Built). I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the reps and picking their brains about how their organizations work.

The atmosphere was a little rowdier than I expected, giving me the feeling that about one quarter of attendees were there just for the party. I definitely enjoyed one of the free drinks, but I would have limited it to one for everyone if I was Yelp. A booth with Denver firefighters signing calendars definitely felt out of place amidst the excited and passionate nonprofit reps, but I hope that the crowd that came for the party left with a new found opportunity to volunteer!

All in all, I am impressed by Yelp's coordination of the many aspects of the event - reserving a fabulous locale, providing goody bags and snacks and drinks, promoting the event to their members (and gaining new members like myself), and supporting great works being done around Denver!

Have you ever been to a special event that supported charities, volunteering, or philanthropy? What did you think of it? What is a good balance to strike between party and cause? Share your thoughts in a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment