Friday, July 9, 2010

The birth of an idea

After a long trip last summer (2009) I came home to an impossibly messy room and a mother strongly urging me to clean it (that's putting it lightly). She forced me to either put an item in a box or throw it away. At some point I came across all my school textbooks, which I had been waiting for my father to sell. Since he had no time, he told me I could sell them and keep the money.

The process began and when all was said and done, I had $600 extra in my bank account. As I was reveling in the success of my endeavor, the selfish thought surfaced: "I bet I can convince my friends to give me their old textbooks and I can sell them and make tons of money." Not a millisecond passed before the thought was interrupted and replaced with, "No, you should actually try to get some books to raise money for something greater than yourself." It immediately struck chords in my heart and I knew this was right.

I didn't set any goals for the project, but I believed it could raise at least $500. I suggested the idea to a friend of mine (citing my successes) and he was very supportive, so I created a Facebook event to try to get some books to fundraise for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. The impersonal invitation had limited success (of two or three hundred invitees, 20 said "yes" and only three actually gave books). However, from those three donors about $200 was raised. I realized quickly that the Facebook event would not be as successful as personal requests. I proceeded by inviting specific friends to join the cause and donate their books.

After eight donors stepped forward, $1200 was raised for InterVarsity.

Positive reinforcement is a great motivator and after considering how well this worked, my vision for this project grew. Why shouldn't other students and groups know how much good they can do too? My excitement compounded when I shared the idea with others and they reacted positively. So, in spring 2010, I began inviting campus group leaders to start their own fundraising efforts and I offered to help them through the process and many more joined.

Shortly thereafter, an earthquake struck Haiti, which built steam for the project as many groups chose to send whatever they raised to Haiti relief organizations. The administration of the school caught wind of the project and soon the fundraiser was adopted and advertised school-wide. Between all the different fundraising groups, over $5000 was raised (over $3000 for Haiti).

Such big results for a little idea. Students have textbooks. Students want to make a difference. With little effort, those books can be collected, sold, and proceeds given to someone or something in need.

It was worth it and it still is. I want to encourage every college student to start making a difference now. I will gladly help and guide any student or group pursuing their own textbook fundraiser. I am committed to seeing this idea spread nation-wide, so that books save lives instead of collecting dust.

3 comments:

  1. This is great, Kurtis! Exciting stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know you have a lot of books that are in Student Activities awaiting you?

    ReplyDelete