Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Textbook Fundraising: the blog's purpose

Now that I have started this blog, I will define its purpose and goals.

1. Spread the idea of textbook fundraising
Textbook fundraising is an idea. And a good one too. But ideas don't act on their own; they require people to act on them. First, people need to hear the idea and be convinced to act. This blog is meant to convey the idea that college students can begin changing the world for the better by the simple donation of textbooks.

2. Share my experience ("expertise") with others
I have one year of experience in textbook fundraising, which in my estimation is more than almost anyone else in the world (at least for purely nonprofit purposes). That said, I have some tips that might be useful for the upstarting fundraiser that can spare them trouble and lighten their load.

3. Process a method to assist willing fundraisers
Students may have textbooks and they may be willing to donate them, but they may not have time or energy or resources to conduct their own fundraiser. It is my goal to enable students who want to make a difference by helping them start and sustain a fundraiser with tutorials and programs or by offering to be seller on their behalf. That said, I currently intend to create a nonprofit organization to carry out such tasks.This blog will document the process of the nonprofit's development/collaboration to advance this practice.

4. Engage others in this process
This is a team effort. Please share your thoughts, experiences, concerns, etc. in a comment or email to me (kurtis.griess@gmail.com). I would love and appreciate your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment